Founded in 1995, Idealist is a nonprofit that supports people and organizations that want to make a difference, bringing them together at Idealist.org. Here, organizations can post their jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities, and events. In turn, individuals can search these opportunities and find ways to take action. This ecosystem brings together tens of thousands of organizations and millions of people each year, and we have ambitious goals to extend our reach even further.
We are looking for a PM who will help manage our product release cycle, using data, best practices, and common sense to find and drive solutions that best fit the needs of our communities. This position is based in New York and reports to our COO.
Our ideal candidate is an energetic convener who is highly organized, a great communicator, and knows how to strike the right balance between process and progress. The role is perfect for someone with a passion for people, project management, and using technology to make the world a better place.
- With the COO, technical, and senior staff, ensure that we are moving quickly and effectively to fulfill our mission and goals
- Support the implementation of our roadmap, with all our products and audiences in mind
- Collaborate with stakeholders on product development for new features, including gathering requirements, creating stories, and establishing acceptance criteria
- Create documentation, such as PRDs, to make sure current products are understood and that future products are built according to specifications
- Coordinate user research, including usability testing and surveys, to confirm that Idealist understands the greatest needs and challenges of our audiences
- Have an actionable understanding of Idealist’s competitor landscape
- Manage the product backlog, including the prioritization and development estimation process
- Maintain regular communication with lead stakeholders and technical staff about progress and expected milestones
- 7-10 years experience in various software-related roles; technical skills a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of direct product management experience, including bringing new products and features to market
- A desire to work flexibly and iteratively
- Experience with issue-tracking, project management, and project documentation software
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Tableau, and/or other data-gathering systems, and using them to help drive decisions
- Disciplined self-starter who can work independently
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and an understanding of what makes systems and processes flourish
- A born diplomat well-versed in navigating competing priorities in order to garner buy-in from different teams
- Highly effective interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Collaborative and adaptive by nature
- Ability to ask good questions
- Eager to learn about Idealist, our products, and where we’re going
- Hankering for a fun environment with smart, quirky people
- Experience in the social impact sector, with an understanding of what sets our client base apart
- Job board or Applicant Tracking System experience
- A working familiarity with SQL
- Experience with both B2B and B2C products
- Experience with mobile products
While we’re a nonprofit, we take benefits very seriously:
- 20+ vacation days
- 10 holidays and 1 optional holiday
- Comprehensive health benefits with significant employer contributions
- 2 months of sabbatical leave after 7 years of service
- Time off to volunteer
- 401k plan with up to 6% match
- Up to $1,000 in learning and wellness reimbursements
- Plentiful snacks and beverages
- Weekly catered lunch + tea time
- And more!
Application deadline: Monday, May 1, 2017 @ 4pm EST.